Let’s celebrate all of those things that go bump in the night and make our skin crawl! The Sierra College Natural History Museum will be hosting our first Hiss, Squeak, Roar event. Come face-to-face with those creatures that make us want to run in the other direction. Learn about the important role that they can play in our ecosystem and all of the good that they do for us! You may even leave the event feeling a bit better about these organisms. The event will feature local organizations that can tell you more about these organisms, lectures and activities.
- You will be able to come face-to-face with a snake, lizard or other reptile from the Northern California Herpetological Society.
- Visit our Arthropodorium, where Star EcoStation will have spiders, scorpions and cockroaches for you to cozy up to.
- The Arthropodorium will feature some of the hundreds of preserved insects that the Museum has in its collection. UC Davis’ Bohart Museum will also be bringing along some arthropod friends for you to meet.
- You will never look at a creek the same again after visiting our Aquatic Assassins and Phytophagans room where you will get to look at some of the creatures lurking in these environments.
- The Paleontological Phantoms will bring you closer to those who departed thousands and millions of years ago.
- Find out what might be lurking on your unwashed hands! Do you think that the 5-second rule keeps your food safe after you drop it? Get closer to those tiny organisms that cover every part of our world and our bodies in the room of Magical Microbes.
- We will have activities for children to learn about bats and they will be able to make their own bat to take home (while supplies last).
- Dress up as your favorite scary animal and participate in our costume parade too! All participants will get a small prize (Children 12 and younger only please).
The Sierra College Rocklin Campus is located at 5000 Rocklin Road in Rocklin. Cost is $5.00 for adults ($3.00 for adult members) and $3.00 for children 4 and older. Children under 4 and children who are members attend for free! Information can be found on our website at www.sierracollege.edu/museum or you can call 916-660-7923 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.