Sierra College Pride Days, a three day educational event, tied closely to college curricula, seeks to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for Sierra's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer students as well as rich, academic and cultural learning opportunities for all students.
Pride Days Activities
Opening Day Events
- 8:00 am: Why Pride Days? Johnnie Terry, LGBT Studies, Sierra College, Fireside Room
- 9:30 am: Against Nature? Sexual Diversity in the Animal Kingdom. Joe Medeiros, Biology Professor Emeritus. Fireside Room.
- 11:00 am: Heteronormativity: A thought experiment regarding a flipped world. Brian DiSarro, CSUS Pol. Sci. Professor Brian DiSarro Fireside Room
- 12:30 pm: Come Join the Rainbow Parade! A Reading and Discussion of the Award Winning children’s book, This Day in June - Gayle Pitman Fireside Room
- 2:00 pm: From Stonewall to Marriage Equality: A Retrospective of the LGBT Rights Movement. Tina Reynolds
- 5:00 pm: Placer County High School GSA Consortium: Pizza and a film. Craig Lechman, Placer GSA Consortium, and Jason Logan, Sierra College Sociology W110
Wednesday, Nov. 4th
- 8:00 am: LGBT and Addiction: Coming Out of the Shadows. Ryan Rollins and Nicholaus Johnson Fireside Room
- 9:30 am: Ben Hudson, Gender Health Center: Gender 101 Fireside Room
- 11:00 am: Creating Supportive Spaces for Gender Exploration and Expression in Pre-K. Shaun-Adrian Choffla ECE Fireside Room
- 12:30 pm: Spoken Word Poetry with Kent Fortin, Quad
- 2:00 pm: Two Transgender Lives: The challenges faced by two generations. JoAnna Michelle Michaels and Mycah Terry Fireside Room
- 6:00 pm: Video: Common Threads: Stories From the Quilt with subsequent visit to Ridley Gallery W110
Thursday, Nov. 5th
After a full day of exciting, and enlightening presentations, the evening event at the Dietrich Theater is indeed the GRAND finale! To conclude our Pride Days, The ASSC, Rainbow Alliance and the Spectrum Committee will present Keynote speaker, California State Senator, Mark Leno, followed by a faculty/student drag show.
- 8:00 am: Asexuality 101: Jesse Archer, Sacramento LGBT Community Center. Fireside Room.
- 9:30 am: Lesbians of the Left Bank - The artistic and literary circles of women, particularly lesbians, in Paris between the two World Wars. Brenna Chapman and Patricia Wood, Art Dept. Sierra College Fireside Room
- 11:00 am: Life with HIV: Two Stories. Two speakers will describe how their lives intersected with HIV. Fireside Room.
- 12:30 pm: Christopher Jeremy Packey: Peer Health Advocate on Sexual Health and PrEP: Pre-exposure Prophylaxis, Sacramento LGBT Community Center. Fireside Room.
- 2:00 pm: A Trans-Heterosexual Love Story! Cameron and his wife tell their story
- 6:00 pm: Key Note: Senator Mark Leno, Followed by the celebrational Drag Show!