Apply for
Logo for Print

Counseling Facts

  • Share
    • Email

New and Transfer Students

Welcome! To get you started on the right foot, once you have applied for admission, we require all new students to complete Orientation, Assessment, and New Student Group Counseling, as described below.

The only exemptions from this requirement are those people who have an associate or bachelor's degree already, or those whose educational goal on their application is "educational development" or "maintain certificate or license." These "matriculation steps" will ensure your best possible semester.

Current and Former Sierra College Student Appointments

Rocklin Campus: Make an appointment online or call the Counseling Department at (916) 660-7400.

Nevada County Campus: Make an appointment online or call (530) 274-5303.

Tahoe-Truckee Campus: Call (530) 550-2225 to make an appointment (online system currently unavailable at Tahoe-Truckee).

Our counseling appointment scheduling system allows current and former students to book counseling appointments online.

You can search for day, time, and counselor to find the most convenient appointment.

Please note that prospective or new students do not have access to this system. They should follow the instructions for new students.

The Counseling Department provides both academic and personal counseling services, however, online scheduling is not appropriate for urgent or crisis appointments.

Please refer to the If you are in crisis page and make contact by telephone.

Important Information for Counseling and Orientation


Once you have applied for admission you will be sent an email with directions on how to set up your mySierra account. The place for you to start to get information about your academic future is through Sierra College’s Online Orientation in the Registration channel in your mySierra account.  You will learn about all of the services, programs, degrees, and certificates available to you at Sierra College.


We can help you much more effectively if you complete our Assessment. In this two-hour program, you will be evaluated regarding your reading comprehension, writing, and mathematics skills. These assessments do not appear on your transcript, nor can you flunk them! They are guides for you to judge your readiness for various parts of our curriculum. These assessments are best completed before your new student group counseling session, so the results will be available to help us determine your first semester courses.

New Student Group Counseling

When you have completed the Online Orientation and Assessment process (if applicable) you will be able to schedule an appointment for a New Student Group Counseling session. During this session you will learn how to navigate post-secondary education and how to select classes for your first semester. Once you have settled into your first semester of classes we encourage you to contact the Sierra Counseling department to schedule an individual counseling session.


Individual Counseling Sessions

One of the most important connections a new student can make, once they are settled into their first semester of classes, is with the Sierra College Counseling Center.

Counselors are available for individual counseling sessions in person, by email, and via CCC Confer e-conferencing technology. The Counseling department provides a wide range of academic, career, and personal counseling services. Counselors help students identify interests, establish goals, and chart a Student Educational Plan (SEP).

A Student Educational Plan (SEP) outlines a suggested course of study based on your major, your transfer plans, and the sequence of courses. Students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to develop and update their plan each semester or whenever a change is made to their major, transfer institution, or other pertinent objectives.

Transferring from another college?

If you have records from another college, we can advise you of how these units may apply to your current educational goals. Ideally, we ask that you request to have official transcripts from all accredited colleges and trade schools you have attended sent to the Sierra College Admissions and Records office before you attend your new student group counseling session. You can also submit official high school transcripts if you have completed coursework that meets college prerequisites.

If you do not have your official transcripts from other colleges and/or high school on file at the Sierra College Admissions and Records office before you attend your new student group counseling session we ask that you bring an unofficial copy of all your transcripts with you to your new student group counseling session.

Latest Update

Please enable Javascript to see the latest facebook update.

Featured Video