Tahoe-Truckee Campus Snow Day Policy
- Sierra College day classes are considered those that start between 9am and 3:45pm.
- Sierra College evening classes are considered those that start at 4pm or later.
Determination of Snow Days
- The status of Sierra College day classes is determined by 8:30am.
- The status of Sierra College evening classes is determined by 3pm.
Call the Tahoe-Truckee campus main phone number, (530) 550-2225, check the campus web page or check the Sierra College Tahoe-Truckee Facebook page to determine if the campus is closed.
General “rule of thumb” for campus closure is: Two or more highways leading into the basin under R2 conditions (chains or 4WD with snow tires). In particular, snow days are determined by the status of Highway 89 from Tahoe City to Truckee, Highway 267 from Kings Beach to Truckee, and I-80 from Reno to Truckee. Road status is checked at 3pm.
For information on road conditions, call CalTrans Highway Information network at (800) 427-7623, or visit their website at www.dot.ca.gov or www.nvroads.com.
Faculty and Staff Guidelines for District-Initiated Snow Days
- Classified employees assigned to the NCC/Tahoe-Truckee campuses receive regular pay on district-initiated snow closure days.
- Faculty assigned to the NCC/Tahoe-Truckee campuses who do not work during district-initiated snow closure days will be paid as though classes were held.
- Employees assigned to the Rocklin campus who live in snow closure areas but are unable to report to work due to weather must claim personal necessity leave for any lost time.
- NCC/Tahoe-Truckee classes need not “make-up” lost time as Sierra is an FTE-funded institution (not daily attendance).
- NCC/Tahoe-Truckee employees who work during snow closure days will receive an equal number of comp time hours (not time and one half) available for later use.
- Please use your own discretion; however, if the campus is open and you chose not to come in it will be considered an absence.