Why are 15 units recommended if the full-time requirement is 12 units?
- Proven greater success rate
- Faster time to your end goal
- Hit the job market sooner
- More opportunities for financial support (specific programs and scholarships)
- Fewer student loans
- Best of all, you’re maximizing the number of units you get free!
What happens if I am allowed to enroll in more than the allowed 18 units per semester?
If you meet all other eligibility requirements, your tuition will be covered.
What if I don’t qualify for FAFSA or the CA Dream Act?
That’s ok! There is no income requirement or restrictions for Two Years Free. We simply need you to complete these applications so we can verify eligibility for any other financial aid first.
What if I don’t want to do the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application?
You would not qualify to get Two Years Free.
How long can I receive Two Years Free?
Two Years Free is specific to fall and spring for up to two consecutive years.
- Within this time frame, you can receive the tuition waiver for any term that you are in 12+ units.
- You must receive this tuition waiver for at least one term (fall or spring) in your first year and complete your first year in good standing in order to get your second year of tuition waived.
Can I receive this waiver for summer classes?
No, Sierra does not award this waiver for summer terms.
What if I am eligible for Two Years Free, but take less than 12 units in the fall? Am I still eligible for spring?
Yes. You would need to pay for fall units yourself. If you are in 12+ units in spring, you will receive this tuition waiver. If this is your first year, you must enroll in 12+ units in at least one term in order to be eligible for the second year free.
What if I don’t start classes until the spring?
Your spring term would count as your first full year.
If I take a semester off or enroll in less than 12 units, can that extend my two years to a future term?
No. Your Two Years Free time clock starts as soon as you enroll in college units and you have up to two years to receive this tuition waiver.
- Your tuition will be waived for any term that you are in 12+ units
- You would pay for any term that you are in less than 12 units
- You must enroll in 12+ units in fall or spring of your first year and complete in good standing in order to be eligible for your second year
What if I received the California College Promise Grant (CCPG) my first year but I am not eligible for it my second year?
You will get a tuition waiver under Two Years Free for your second year if you are enrolled in 12+ units.
If I go to a Sierra Promise partner high school, do I have to sign up as a Sierra Promise Scholar to get my Two Years Free?
No, but we recommend it. Being a Sierra Promise Scholar gives you priority registration for your first term and gives you access to additional support and resources. Learn more about Sierra Promise.
If I opt-in to become a Sierra Promise Scholar, do I automatically get opted into Two Years Free?
No. These are two separate opt-in choices. Opt-in to Two Years Free by June 1 for the upcoming year.