Helping You Meet Welfare-To-Work Requirements as Well as Providing a Variety of Support Services
CalWORKs is a program intended to help students meet their Welfare-To-Work requirements and prepare for permanent jobs in their chosen profession.
We provide a variety of support services to help you successfully complete your dream of a college education, while also meeting your county CalWORKs requirements. We will advise you of your rights as a CalWORKs student so that you can continue your educational goals. Work-Study is exempt income that does not affect your TANF/CalWORKs grant.
The program pays 50-75% of the CalWORKs student’s wages as an incentive for on and off campus employers to hire and train CalWORKs students.
- Academic, personal, and career counseling
- Information and referrals to campus and community programs and services
- Educational expense cards
- Employment opportunities
- Financial grants
- Loaner laptops and calculators
- Monthly attendance reports
- Priority registration
To be eligible for the CalWORKs program, you must meet the following requirements.
- Be a current TANF/CalWORKs recipient OR a former TANF/CalWORKs recipient who has been off cash aid less than two years
- Be a current Sierra College student enrolled in at least one class
- Be in good academic standing with 2.0 GPA or higher
How to Apply
To join CalWORKs, fill out the online application.
Students can earn money and gain work experience while in college through on- and off-campus jobs. Learn more about Career and Internship Services.
The EOPS Program at Sierra College provides support to students who have experienced social, language, economic and educational disadvantages.