College in High School

Sierra College offers two ways to earn college credit for students still in high school, either at a participating high school or at Sierra College. Both options are free and the credits you earn may even count at both schools. Taking college classes in high school can save you time and money, and it helps prepare you for college.

How Do I Earn College Credit in High School?

Earn college credit at Sierra College Earn college credit at your high school

Take classes at Sierra College

Who is eligible?

  • Must be at least 15 years old
  • Have completed the 10th grade (must be reflected on official transcripts)
  • Have at least a 3.0 GPA
  • Can place into transfer-level English (ENGL 1A) and reading (English 11) courses

Why should I participate?

  • Save time: Complete high school and college credits at the same time
  • Save money: Classes taken while in high school are free
  • Helps prepare you to be a full-time college student

How do I get started?

  1. Meet with your high school counselor
    – Your high school counselor must sign the Academic Enrichment Program Application to verify that you qualify.
  1. Apply to Sierra College
    – Complete the Sierra College online application
    – Indicate on the application that you are a high school student
  1. Complete Placement into English, Reading, and Math
    – Use the Placement Tool to see if you are able to place into the appropriate transfer-level courses:
    • English 1A (English)
    • English 11 (Reading)
    • Math (if required for course placement)
  2. Provide Documentation to Admissions and Records
    – Turn in the following documents in-person with a photo ID:
    • Completed and signed Academic Enrichment Program Application form
    • Copy of high school transcript
    • Documentation of age (if homeschooled or if age is not on high school transcript)
    • Assessment scores
    • A Department of Education affidavit is required if students are homeschooled or attend a charter school
  3. Accept College Terms and Conditions
    – After you apply, you will receive a Welcome to Sierra email with instructions to activate your mySierra account. Log into your mySierra and click on the Terms and Conditions link to accept.
  4. Register for classes online
    – In mySierra, click on “Registration and Classes,” then “Add, Drop, or Withdraw from Classes.”  Students who are still in high school can take a maximum of 7 units each semester or summer term.

Take college classes at your high school  

Who is eligible?

Students who attend one of these high schools.

Participating High Schools

  • Bear River
  • Center
  • Colfax
  • CTE Works
  • Del Oro
  • Foresthill
  • Granite Bay
  • Lincoln
  • Maidu
  • Placer
  • Rocklin
  • Whitney
  • Western Sierra Collegiate Academy (WSCA)

How do I get started?

  1. Find a class from the list of college courses at your high school counselor's office.
  2. Meet with your high school counselor to review your high school needs and other requirements.
  3. During the first week of class, you will apply to the college and submit the approval form in your class. You will be added to the class by Sierra College after the class begins and your paperwork is processed.


Admissions and Records
Rocklin Campus A 101